Introduction to Cordless Hammer Drill
We all know what a hammer is. We know about the drill as well. But when the two are put together as one to form a cordless hammer drill, that is when people go wondering about what it is and how does it work.
A cordless hammer drill is a drill for sure. The only confusing, as well as differentiating factor in it, is the ‘hammer.’ Just like any normal drill, it operates in rotary motion either clockwise or anti-clockwise. But, along with it, it has another feature which is an add-on clutch that is specially designed to allow it to move vertically and horizontally as well. So, unlike a simple drill, a cordless hammer drill can move rotary as well as side-wise at the same time. Because of this, you can end up drilling much easier and faster than ever.
The cordless hammer drill got this name from its hammer-like motion while operating. While the drill works normally in a rotating motion, the spring attached to the flange inside the gearbox pushes the clutch and the drill forward and backward which gives the impression of a hammer working and there goes its name.
Because of its ability to move in all four directions simultaneously, it can make any material crack faster. So, you shouldn’t use it on wood or metal. But it works the best on brittle materials like concrete and masonry. Most of the hammer drills have a button with which the hammering function can be switched off in case you would like to work on wood or metal. Therefore, a single cordless hammer drill can work on almost all types of materials with that feature.
Also, it runs on batteries. So no worrying about the electricity, no wire accidents or fires, just take it in your hands and start working. A cordless hammer drill is something everyone should definitely have in their tools collection.
Pros and Cons of Buying a Cordless Hammer Drill
Now, the above information may have engaged you a bit into knowing more about the cordless hammer drill and if you should buy it or not. Like every coin has two sides, the same is the case with this tool also. Yup, the advantages may be more but that doesn’t mean that there lie no negative points. So, if you are planning to buy cordless hammer drill, here are a few pros and cons which we feel that you must clearly know.
- Well, the hammer drill is obviously quite versatile. It can be used in various ways and on almost every type of material.
- You can switch between the hammer mode and the simple drill mode whenever you like. So, you don’t require different tools for different tasks. Only a single cordless hammer drill can do the job.
- It has added power due to added motion and makes the drilling really faster and easier.
- Forget about your cord getting tangled with somebody’s shoes.
- No worries about electricity and far away switches. You can operate it anytime and anywhere.
- It is a bit heavier than a simple drill. The weight of the added hammer gears along with the battery is not much though, just a little extra.
- The hammering function pushes backward causing strain in the user’s arm at times.
Despite the few disadvantages, the advantages section definitely weighs a lot more. Who would want to give up on a great tool due to some tiny backdrops? So, considering it overall, you should definitely move forward towards adding it to your other tools.
Ten important things one should know while shopping the cordless hammer drill
You cannot simply wake up one morning and decide ‘Oh, I guess I need a hammer drill. Let’s go for it.’ This is most unlikely to happen. Being the meticulous humans as we are, we spend so much time choosing a single headband. Obviously, we would take as much time as required to choose the perfect hammer drill for us to save ourselves from any future regrets.
Because a little help can often go a long way, we have exclusively listed ten things that you must definitely consider before shopping a hammer drill. Here we go.
- The basic mentality that the most expensive product is the best is a huge lie. Do not empty your pockets over a tool. Buy whatever fits your budget.
- Hold the drill in your hand and see if it feels comfortable. Check its weight and size in accordance with your body so that you can use it to the fullest.
- Know the type of work that you need to do with the drill. If you want to perform a multi-task drill operation, the hammer drill is the best. If not, you can go for other options as well according to your specific area of work.
- Always consider the duration for which you need your tool. For longer duration such as construction, a corded drill may be better than a cordless one as they won’t get drained of battery.
- You should know how much power is required to do the task in order to select a drill for it. You cannot use loads of power if you want to dig a small hole. Similarly, too less power into shattering a material would be a complete waste of time and energy.
- Well, it is not always compulsory but try to buy your tool from a reputed brand if possible. You may get a warranty for some fixed time and they are usually long lasting and trustworthy.
- Buying a drill which has options for speed variation is like icing on the cake. It will give you the choice for different uses in a single tool.
- Make sure that your drill has a good battery capacity and the battery can be changed or charged easily in the future. Otherwise, it will cease being useful once the current battery dies.
- The drill must have convenient torque setting for you so that it can be changed from material to material as per your need.
- You can’t always expect your drill to have a belt clip, LED light or dust extractor. But hey, having some extra features sometimes wouldn’t hurt right. So you can look for them as well if you want.
Since prevention is always better than cure, just make sure to buy the right cordless hammer drill Dubai that serves you the best and is comfortable and convenient so that your work never goes wrong.